Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pray

We are sorry it has taken so long to update the blog, we know you've all been waiting to hear the results from my Mom's biopsy. Unfortunately on Monday my family got some upsetting news that the tumor that they removed during surgery was not what they had originally thought it was. Instead it was a stage 4 malignant glioblastoma multiformes. What does that mean? Well we aren't really sure yet what that means. As a family we are still trying to digest this news and quickly become as educated as possible for the road we are about to travel down. It is very important to my mom that we keep everyone she cares about well informed of what is going on.

The first thing people have been asking is "how is Tricia doing?" To put everyone a little at ease my mom is doing GREAT. She continues to have a smile on her face daily and has a very positive attitude and outlook for the future. Never have I been so amazed and grateful for the ongoing prayers, love and support from our family and friends. Her recovery from surgery is going great and she goes in on December 9th to have her staples removed from her head and start her first course of radiation therapy. As far as we know chemotherapy is not an option for this type of cancer because it cannot cross through the blood brain barrier.

Of course we plan on getting a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion down in Seattle for the best course of treatment. We are so lucky to live so close to some of the very best cancer treatment centers in the country. We may have an appointment as early as next Monday with Dr. Mark Chamberlin, Chief of Neuro Oncology at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. There is also a doctor in Oregon at Oregon Health Science that specializes in his research on this specific type of tumor. The world of medicine is advancing everyday with new breakthroughs in cancer research. We are going to explore EVERY option to make sure my mom has the best care possible.

We know this news is hard to take in and it has been so hard for me to try to find the right words to describe how we are feeling at this time. So many people have been sharing with us miracle stories of people they know that have lived a long time with brain tumors. We do not believe in timelines or odds, personally I believe they were made to be broken and defied. My mom is the picture of good health, already has such a positive attitude and is ready to battle! We are asking everyone to please continue to pray, pray, pray. It gives us great comfort knowing how many people are praying for our family. God bless you all, more to come soon I promise.

12 comments:

  1. We just love your family so much and pray for healing and strength for this battle ahead. If anyone can do it Tricia can, I have never met anyone so determined, and strong with a heart of gold. Tricia you are such an inspiration, and have so much to offer, and I truly believe and have faith for what the good things that are in your future. We love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia and family, it's Jenny Heberts friend Karen from BAC. Just wanted you to know I am keeping up with your story through Barbie and my thoughts and prayers are with you all. You are so dynamic and strong and if anyone can beat this you can. You are reminding us all to live love and laugh and to celebrate our families and friends. I will continue to pray for you and send you good thoughts, Karen Keown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Smith Family,

    You guys have no idea how closely we are holding you in our hearts and prayers. We are far away, but today we will begin lighting a candle of hope and love for Tricia and for all of you every single day. Count on it! If there's anything else we could do, please-ask!

    Love and hugs,

    Laurie and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in shock. I believe Tricia's strength and the love of your entire family will get her and all of you thru this. I will continue to pray for you all. If there is anything else I can do please let me know.
    Love Heidi
    I have a name of doctor you may want to check out. I'll send you a msg on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia and family - We think about you every day...you are one of the most positive people to walk the earth so keep that faith - you go girl and we will be with you on this journey!
    Horne Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tricia - You know all of playgroup is surrounding you with prayers and support. Jim - You are and have always been a rock to your family - I know you are now too. Tanis and Taryn - Thank you SO much for your dedication to keeping this blog up to date. I would be calling you every day but instead I check this blog. You need to be our eyes and ears for your folks. You need to ask for help when you need it - you have so many people just waiting to hear the word. One of us can coordinate meals for your family - just let me know when you would like that to happen. Do you need the house cleaned? Let me know. Do you need some things picked up from the store? Let me know. Playgroup has always been more - it has always been another family and we are here for you all. Tanis - for you - bless you, Sweetie for the tender spirit you have with this blog. Nancy Moore

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am praying for you guys every day. Have faith, God works in mysterious ways. Please let me know if there's anything I can do! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To the Smith family, stay strong! We love you guys so much, and know we are praying for you everyday. I believe in the healing power of our father God and know that your story is nothing shy of a miracle all ready. We love you, you are our family, and Tricia, I can't wait to hear your amazing testimony when all of this is over!

    xoxo, Breyana Oliver (formerly Brookings)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi tricia, jim, tanis and taryn i am so sad to hear of all you have been going through, i just found out this morning. as trica knows my good friend sally has been living with this same type of brain tumor for 9 years now, i just spoke with her and she would love to speak with any of you about her treatments, feelings, adjustments and just what she has done to survive living with brain cancer. she can be contacted at 360 758 2887 at any time. i of course want to talk with and see trica and jim as soon as they are feeling up to it. much love from elizabeth von krusenstiern. contact info 360 961 5651 or email address elizabethvonkrusenstiern@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tricia Kay, I am thinking about you on this beautiful day and sending positive thought your way. Love you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tricia Kae,
    This is only the third time I've tried to e-mail you (because I am computer illiterate) but Nannie's on the phone directing me.
    I just heard the good news! Praise God! I've already been thanking Him for what He is going to do. I'm just sorry you have to go through it all.I was just telling Nancy I laugh every time I picture you lieing in the bed with your feet dancing to the tune of "I Will Survive". Yes Tricia Kae You Will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am so proud of you! My prayer is that God will give you all the strength you need to fight your battle. In the end the Victory will be won but until then you must fight on. May God bless and keep you in His loving care.

    with love,

    Brenda Mae

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look awesome Tricia!! It is a good thing you have your two beautiful daughters to pamper you and take such great care of you!!
    As always, you will use your positive energy,immense strength and big heart to get through this. You better...we MISS you around here. You have all my PMA for sure!
    Love and big hugs,
    Kelley and the STORM

    ReplyDelete