Monday, November 23, 2009

Week of Mom's Surgery



Welcome to the Smith Family Blog. We wanted to create a place for all of our wonderfully supportive family & friends to go for the most recent updates on my Mom.

Just to recap the last couple week's events...on November 6th around noon my mom was doing some housework at home and started feeling strange. She remembers not being able to read a recipe, feeling very confused and having difficulty talking (saying things to my dad like "zoogle"). Luckily my Dad was home and immediately took her to the hospital. My mom had a seizure in the car just before arriving to the hospital and was unconcious when my dad pulled up to the ER. In the ER her vitals were stable and she slowly started to come to but her memory and speech were jarbled (very common post-seizure). Her CT scan came back clear but her MRI scan found a very tiny tumor in the left frontal lobe of her brain. They are calling the tumor a Meningioma, a very small, slow growing and usually benign tumor. Most likely my Mom has had the tumor for years and for some reason all of a sudden it caused irritation in her brain which caused the seizure. The location of the tumor (your language center lies in the left side of the brain) explains her confusion and difficulty speaking.

So yes my family was very scared to learn that my Mom has a brain tumor, but this is the way we've been trying to look at the situation. We really are very lucky that my Mom had the seizure because it alerted us there was a problem. So many people that experience seizures never learn what causes them and they are forced to be on medication for the rest of their lives in hopes of controlling them. Within hours of my Mom's first seizure, we knew exactly what caused it and had a very clear treatment plan for her. All of her doctors strongly recommended surgery to remove the tumor and my Mom quickly agreed.

Since being discharged from the ER, my Mom has been on a very high dose of antiseizure medication which makes her feel a little dizzy and weak, but has prevented her from having any more seizures. We met with her neurosurgeon on November 11th and he strongly recommended a craniotomy as soon as possible to remove the tumor. After viewing the MRI he believes the tumor is in fact a Meningioma and is most likely not malignant, but we will only know for sure after it is removed and biopsied. My mom is the perfect candidate for this surgery...her & my dad have been working out and eating very healthy the last couple months and are both in the best of health. The neurosurgeon even told my Mom she looked "very buff these days" at her first consultation in the office. Dr. Goldman knows my family well by this point (he performed back surgery on both my Grandma and Dad and I scrubbed in to observe a couple of his surgeries in nursing school) and will be performing my mom's surgery at St. Joseph's on Wednesday November 25th at 7:30 am. The surgery is expected to last between 4-6 hours due to the very advanced technology they will be using to locate the tiny tumor. She will spend one night in Intensive Care and then will be transferred to the main floor of the hospital for 1-3 days. If everything goes as planned, we are hoping to have her back at home by Sunday evening at the latest.

After having a very busy weekend of celebrating an early Thanksgiving with the family & an early Christmas with Skye's little girl Kayleigh, my mom has strict instructions to lay low & rest up before Wednesday. She is very ready to get the surgery over with so she can start her recovery and move on with her busy life...she's really been missing her kids at the schools and being able to work out at the gym with my Dad.



My family really wants everyone to know that my Mom is going to be in the very best hands for this surgery. We feel very confident in Dr. Goldman's abilities as a surgeon and my good friend Sarita Falcon will be working as a charge nurse in the operating room that morning. My Mom will have her own personal nurse by her side 24/7 advocating for her and making sure she gets the very best medical care possible. If there was ever a question in my mind whether I picked the right career path?? I love that my nursing knowledge can help my Mom and our family during this stressful time.

Unfortunately due to the H1N1 epidemic, St. Joseph's has a very strict no visitors policy and the last thing we want is for our family members to come to the hospital and pick up a nasty bug. I will have my cell phone on me at all times (texting will probably work better than phone calls) and will try to update the blog as much as possible.

A special thank you to Grandma & Chuck, Auntie Rene & Uncle Larry, Geneva, Barb, Nancy, Mary & Jim, Auntie Anne & Uncle George & Cousin Lindsay for visiting and bringing yummy deserts and flowers. Thank you so much to Auntie Barb and Grandma and the whole family for pulling off an amazing Thanksgiving meal this Sunday. My Mom said she felt stronger after being around all the people that love her. Please keep my Mom in your thoughts and prayers this week, we love you all very much!

13 comments:

  1. thanks so much for this site!!!Your all in our thoughts and prayers, can't wait till the surgery is over and recovery begins.
    love you all
    bucky and lo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very happy you set the blog site to keep us up to date. Now I won't feel bad bugging Taryn with updates. Know you ALL are in our prayers and I know with the care, family and the strong person Trisha is she will recovery at record pace.
    Heidi, Brad and Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man! Tanis I feel for you and your family...It is all like a bad dream and very surreal reading your Mom's Blog.
    When you do get the final pathology results and they are infact benign....consider yourselves very, very blessed because it is not very common. Your Mother must have a very important mission on this Earth still along with my Dawson...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all are in our prayers and we send our love. Please let us know if we can help with anything. Even checking in on the dogs. We love all of you. Jim Mary Angie And Philip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking about your family especially Tricia right now during surgery time. Stay strong and know that God will be there with you as well. Love you guys so much and I will be praying for you guys all day, and have faith that everything will go well. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our prayers for all of you are forever flowing and we know that Sister/Auntie Trisha is in God's hands the Almighty surgeon. With all our Love, George, Ann, Lindsay, Sue, Alger, Dante, Bob and Nita. P.S. Please let us know what we can help with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are thinking about you all. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us up to date. Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  8. Giving Thanks to God for a successful outcome and a speedy recovery!!! Tricia's positive outlook in "Life" will prevail. Praying for all of you at this stressful time in your lives. Love you, Auntie Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my thoughts constantly.
    ~Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  10. We here at the BLVD HAIR STUDIO are thinking of the Smith Family constantly in this time of hardship ur family is so strong and Tricia should be so glad to have such a positive energy around her through this hardship. We love her so much and are praying for the good health that she deserves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing lady she is! The first thing she said to Mom and I as she raised her fists was "I made it!" Yes, you did Tricia and you will continue to heal with your positive attitude. Our faith is in Him that his love surrounds the entire family and friends and we will all feel his love. As I think of my blessings today I can't help but be so thankful for all He has given us: this beautiful earth,family,friends,and mostly His Son that has given us eternal life.
    Jim, Tricia, Tanis, Taryn, Mac, and Skye, We love you sooo much and just know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love, Baba, Randy,Jake,Josh,Maria,Tucker, and Clint too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending my love your way. Glad to hear you are recovery well. Today will not be your traditional gathering but you are all together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tricia, Bob, Tanis & Taryn... I'm so thankful that you have set up this blog so that we can be updated and also to be specific in our prayers. We've been thinking of and praying for you since we heard of the seizure. Glad to hear the surgery went well and you are already up and talking and moving. I know that God is in control and we continue to pray for you all. I also loved the "But we weren't really surprised, my Mom has always been a talker!" part of your blog... made me laugh. Tricia, you've always been one of the easiest of all the cousins for me to talk with at re-unions. Love you all! Jodi, Sean, Manda & Justin

    ReplyDelete