Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Real Life Wonder Woman!




Every 3 months my family gets that anxious feeling that slowly creeps up on us, as the date gets closer and closer on the calendar to my Mom's next MRI scan. Her doctors have planned these scans according to her treatment schedule. At the end of August she finished her 6 months of chemo she is feeling stronger and healthier than ever! But its hard to see her go through 3 months of treatments not really knowing if its working?? We just try to take comfort in how good she looks and says that she feels and leave the rest in God's hands.

Well today God showed us in all His glory that the treatments and my mom's hard work are working!! My mom's MRI scan came back GREAT! This means that the area in her brain that they have been watching (after her surgery to remove her tumor) has not grown more cancer cells. This news gives not only our family but my mom sooooooo much hope and inspiration for the future!

We sat down with her oncologist this afternoon to pow-wow and come up with our next plan. It wasn't an easy conversation because Dr. Kaminski explained to us that because the course of treatment for this type of brain cancer is just being developed, there isn't a "crystal clear" plan of action for my mom. There isn't a guideline to go by, my mom is the creating the guideline! Which in a way is very exciting but also kinda scary because there isn't a clear road to take.

After much discussion, my mom felt very nervous about taking a break from treatment in fear of the cancer coming right back. We all agreed that her treatments are working and her body is holding up very well with pretty minimal side effects. Dr. Kaminski did end up mentioning, "Why fix was isn't broke?"...meaning he supported my mom's decision of continuing treatment especially since it is working so well for her right now. I think she felt very empowered leaving the doctors office today!

So the next 6 months will include 6 more rounds of chemotherapy, continuing the clinical trial of Avastin and MRI scans every 3 months. From what I understand, after 12 months of Avastin therapy, the double-blind study will be unblinded and we can find out if she was receiving Avastin or the placebo. But we already know she is getting the real stuff! And we are so proud of her for being brave enough to be a part of such an important study that could potentially help so many other patients in the future!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all our amazing family and friends who continue to pray for my mom. And a huge thank you to all those that follow our blog or have heard about my mom and continue to pray for her having never even met her. My Aunt Barb introduced me to a couple at the fair this year, who have never even met my mom but are part of a prayer team that is devoted to praying for her weekly! How awesome is that?!!

Today serves as a reminder to us all that without faith we can do nothing. But if we depend on our faith in every situation, God will move heaven and earth to grant us peace wherever we need it most in our lives.

6 comments:

  1. Tricia, wow, you truly are WONDER WOMAN! God is so good, and our prayers are working. Nothing is going to stop you, and you have so much to look forward to. Your fight is not easy, and you continue to hold everyone up around you. Through everything you have not only set an example, but have set records, God's spirit is shining through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH fantastic news! Congrats Smith family... your story keeps betting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia Kay, You are an amazing woman. I am so thankful for your results. But, I knew the results would be positive. I would have opted to keep on keepin on too. It's working and you were picked by a higher power to be in this study. I think you will be in the history books for this powerful study. We, who are believers, will give the credit to God. We are witnessing a miracle!!! How are you feeling now? I don't think Danielle can make it this weekend. Love You, Your Bestest Friend, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia, this is the wonderful news we have ALL been hoping for!! Keep up the good work!
    Sending more healing thoughts your way-
    With love,
    Donita, Mike and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia, I am so happy to hear this very good news!! I will continue to pray for you and your family- you are such an inspiration to us all!
    And I have to say what a great job you and Jim have done raising those girls of yours- they're an inspiration too!
    Sounds like you've made the right decision re continuing treatment- wow, you are really something!
    Love, Anne, Ellen, Eric

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing news! I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and sending lots of good energy in your direction. There is so much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete