Thursday, March 4, 2010

Great MRI news!!

God has heard all of our prayers and granted us a huge blessing this week. My mom's first MRI scan after completing her first round of treatment came back clear with no sign of a tumor! They are continuing to watch a certain ridge of her brain near where the original tumor was removed. This ridge was the target area for her radiation treatment. The MRI also showed that the cancer cells on the ridge have not spread and may have actually decreased slightly. After discussing the results with her many oncologists, they are very optimistic that we will not see another tumor growing anytime in the near future. They truly believe that my mom is going to be one of the lucky people that will fight and succeed to live for a long time after being diagnosed with a glioblastoma tumor. They explained that this is only because they caught it early when the tumor was so small and because she is so incredibly healthy! We do know that unfortunately there is no cure for brain cancer at this time. But our plan is to help my mom fight this off until they do find that cure!

We are so grateful for this much needed good news. And to know that all the doctors and all the treatments that have sapped my mom of her energy and taken her hair are REALLY WORKING! Yes everyday we deal with the worry and the doubts about what tomorrow could bring for my mom and our family. But we are so lucky to be surrounded with friends and family that help us find guidance when we need it. A very dear friend of mine sent my mom and I a devotional book called "Jesus Calling." She herself has found peace in her crazy life after sitting down each night and reading this book, so I am now doing the same. Granted there are some nights I fall asleep without reading, but have I found comfort in the scriptures I have read and reflected on. It's also pretty cool knowing that my mom and I are reading the exact same thing every night and can focus our prayers together. Like many people, I have a hard time accepting the fact that there are things in life that I cannot control, like my Mom's cancer or my boyfriends deployment to Afghanistan in July. These things could overwhelm me with worry and fear if I let them. But my faith reminds me that I am not in control, someone else is. Monday night's reading spoke to me for obvious reasons and I thought I would share it:
When something in your life or thoughts makes you anxious, come to Me and talk about it. Though the lessons of trust that I send to you come wrapped in difficulties, the benefits far outweigh the cost.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful news, Tricia and family!!! All your efforts have paid off indeed. We are so very happy for all of you. Tricia, Jim, Tanis, Taryn - you are all in our thoughts.
    Sending you warm greetings and love and hope,
    Donita & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! We loved reading this news today, Tanis! We all need your Mom in our lives, too, and it appears she gets to be with us in the future we envision. You are so wise to walk straight through these storms as you are, relying on sources of help and comfort. Fear is often our greatest enemy. We send our blessings to you, the brave young writer of this wonderful blog, to your Mom, who must be jumping for joy (or soon will!) and to your Sis and Dad. We're so happy and full of optimism for you all. Love, Bob and Laurie P.S. Our candle still burns. It has won this battle before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such great news!! Again, thank you for keeping us in the loop-we can all take a deep breath now and enjoy this wonderful news! I just know your mom's positive attitude has something to do with this. With that and her great care, and all the prayers and good thoughts focused her way, that cancer has met it's match!
    Love to you all, Anne, Ellen and Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such AMAZING news, and it so wondeful to pray for continued success of the treatments, they are working! Miracles still happen today and I believe you will win this battle Tricia. You inspire me still each day, and I am so thankful that things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been relishing this news! God is bigger than this brain tumor! I am so thrilled for your family but also for her friends, such as Playgroup, that cherish her and her positive spirit. We love you, Tricia! Like Laurie said, the candle still burning....

    ReplyDelete